You never realize how much an international move can take a toll on you. It's enjoyable yet disconcerting at the same time. All of the social cultural cues you have grown up with in your home country no longer apply and you are like an infant relearning everything from the beginning. While exciting usually, sometimes it takes a toll on you, especially when you have a day that you crave something familiar, something comforting....
A Reeces pieces chocolate chip cookie for example ;) good luck finding those in Cairo, Egypt...actually cookies outside of English looking biscuits or Oreos is not a part of the culture as it is in America. It's okay though I've found that my Pinterest usage has tripled living here, thank God for the DIY culture of the States. I have enjoyed that aspect of my time here for sure.
In America everything is paced so quickly that we often opt for convenience vs health and recreation. Before I left I had a busy schedule working around 3 jobs in order to help fund my move. Granted I made time to always cook because I've created a healthy eating/living lifestyle but I didn't have the time I desired to chef it up if you will.
Everything here moves at a much slower place, I'm still getting comfortable with the notion that if you accomplish one thing a day you're doing spectacular. It's a hard American habit for me to break but logistically it makes sense here. Traffic, the slow pace of life, the redundancies/complications of public government systems and occasionally the person who isn't interested in doing their job because well they don't feel like it at the moment or they don't like your looks/clothing/whatever (YES THIS HAS HAPPENED)
The Egyptian Ministry of Housing
Aside from the countries idiosyncrasies there is a beauty and a richness to the people here. I have never seen so much ingenuity in my life. So much passion...sometimes passion that could rival any Spanish or Italian stereotype. People here seem to feel so deeply...perhaps its the heat? ;)
Creativity at its best
That's enough rambling for today, I must be productive and continue my remote online work search. If anyone knows any reliable company hiring, I'd love a heads up!
-Seville


No comments:
Post a Comment